Professor Dame Hermione Lee FBA
About this Fellow
Life-Writing, 19th to 21st century literature, American literature
- Emeritus Professor of English Literature, University of Oxford
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Reader, University of York, 1977 - 1996
- Personal Chair in English Literature, University of York, 1996 - 1998
- Goldsmiths' Professor of English Literature, University of Oxford, 1998 - 2008
- President of Wolfson College, and Professor of English Literature, University of Oxford, 2008 - 2017
Literary realism; history and theory of consumer culture; Freud, especially in relation to Greek tragedy and feminist reappraisals; Virginia Woolf; contemporary French philosophy.
Literary biography and criticism, especially 20th century British and American poetry; biographies of John Berryman and William Empson, editions of poetry and prose by Empson.
Russian cultural and social history from the late 18th century; the history of childhood, and Russian national identity in the late Soviet and post-Soviet eras.
Literary studies from the Enlightenment to modernity; the interrelations of literature and philosophy