Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum
Catalogue of ancient Greek vases in British collections
‘Catalogue of Greek Vases’. The international Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum, sponsored by the Union Académique Internationale, aims to illustrate all the ancient Greek pottery in public and private collections. The British Academy publishes fascicules contributing to the ‘Great Britain’ series of catalogues.
There is a wide spread of material. Bronze Age Greek, Cypriot, local Italian, Etruscan, and the local styles of the Archaic Greek city-states all appear beside the more familiar Athenian black and red figure. The large format allows all pieces to be fully illustrated, and there are profile drawings of the more interesting shapes, as an aid to the study of potting as well as painting. There is a full commentary on each vase.
The British committee is chaired by Dr Thomas Mannack.
Note that not all ‘Great Britain’ fascicules are published by the British Academy (eg some are published by British Museum Press – as indicated in the list).
British Academy fascicules are published by Oxford University Press. Some older fascicules are available from Oxbow Books.
25. [published by British Museum Press]
20. [published by British Museum Press]
19. Winchester College by John Falconer & Thomas Mannack
36 pages + 16 plates
978-0-19-726257-3 hbk 2002 out of print
18. The Glasgow Collections: The Hunterian Museum; the Glasgow Museum and Art Gallery, Kelvingrove; the Burrell Collection by Elizabeth Moignard
64 pages + 60 plates
0-19-726168-X hbk 1997 out of print
17. [published by British Museum Press]
13. [published by British Museum Press]
1-11. [not published by the British Academy]
(the publication of Fascicules 3, 6, 9 and 11 were supported financially by the British Academy)
1. Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto (Attic Black Figure and Related Wares) by John W Hayes
978-0-19-726000-5 portfolio 1981 available from Oxbow
Summary Guide to Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum by Thomas H Carpenter
0-19-726033-0 pbk 1984 out of print
Summary Guide to Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum. Second Edition by Thomas H Carpenter & Thomas Mannack
0-19-726203-1 pbk 2000 available from Oxbow