Corpus Signorum Imperii Romani
Catalogue of sculpture from Roman Britain.
The scheme for an international Corpus of Sculpture of the Roman World was launched in 1963. In 1974, the British Academy assumed responsibility for cataloguing sculpture from Roman Britain (to be published as Volume I of the British contribution) – as opposed to Roman sculpture imported into Britain in recent times (Volumes II and III). For each item, the provenance, present location and bibliography are listed, followed by a full description of the sculpture, including its condition, measurements and material, and interpretation. There is a full photographic record. Many items are published for the first time.
The sculpture is classified into various categories, eg Graeco-Roman and Romano-Celtic deities, funerary monuments, building records, and miscellaneous human figures and animals.
British Academy fascicules are published by Oxford University Press. Some older fascicules are available from Oxbow Books.
Great Britain, Volume I
10. Roman Sculpture from London and the South-East, by Penny Coombe, Francis Grew, Kevin Hayward & Martin Henig
184 pages + 84 plates
978-0-19-726571-0 hbk March 2015 available from OUP £120.00
[British Academy Review article by Penny Coombe]
[British Academy Blog video by Martin Henig]
[British Academy Blog piece by Penny Coombe]
8. Roman Sculpture from Eastern England, by Janet Huskinson
0-19-726140-X hbk 1994 available from Oxbow
7. Roman Sculpture from the Cotswold Region, with Devon and Cornwall, by Martin Henig
0-19-726135-3 hbk 1993 out of print
6. Hadrian’s Wall West of the North Tyne, and Carlisle, by J C Coulston & E J Phillips
0-19-726058-6 hbk 1988 out of print
5. Wales, by Richard J Brewer
0-19-726045-4 hbk 1986 out of print
4. Scotland, by L J F Keppie & Beverly J Arnold
0-19-726026-8 hbk 1984 available from Oxbow
3. Yorkshire, by Sergio Rinaldi Tufi
0-19-726019-5 hbk 1983 available from Oxbow
2. Bath and the Rest of Wessex, by B W Cunliffe & M G Fulford
0-19-726004-7 hbk 1982 available from Oxbow
1. Corbridge, Hadrian’s Wall East of the North Tyne, by E J Phillips
0-19-725954-5 hbk 1977 out of print
The British Academy is publishing fascicules of Volume I only. It is not responsible for publishing Volume II (published by British Museum Press) or Volume III.