British Academy Conferences
- Open for applications
- Postdoctoral or equivalent research
- 1 Jan 2022
- 11 Nov 2020
- 27 Jan 2021 - 17:00 GMT
- One to three days
The British Academy Conferences scheme presents an exceptional opportunity for UK-based scholars to run a landmark event featuring leading-edge research as part of the Academy’s events programme. The scheme includes a new strand of British Academy / Wellcome Trust Conferences, designed to foster discussion and debate on health and wellbeing related themes.
Aim of the award
The British Academy Conferences scheme, with generous support from the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and the Wellcome Trust, presents an exceptional opportunity for UK-based scholars to run a pivotal event of lasting significance in their field, as a central part of the Academy’s events programme. Successful conferences will bring together scholars from around the world to present and discuss new research in the humanities and social sciences. Held either at the British Academy’s own premises in London, at other British venues, or online, these landmark events will offer students, scholars and specialists an opportunity to learn about the latest developments in their subject areas and to expand their academic networks.
Awards for a new strand of British Academy / Wellcome Trust Conferences are available for events which foster discussion and debate on health and wellbeing related themes.
- Awards are open to postdoctoral scholars (or equivalent) who are ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom.
- Applications require the approval of the applicant's employing institution, but are not limited to those of any particular status (e.g. Lecturer, Professor etc).
- Applications may be made by independent scholars and retired scholars.
- Conferences adopted into the next round of British Academy Conferences must take place between January and December 2022.
- Proposals should be for one or two-day conferences that will take place either at the British Academy’s own premises in London, or at other British venues or online. Convenors should indicate their preferred choice of venue in their proposal. Please note that we will not entertain proposals for conferences longer than two days, unless the principal proposer can indicate that they have funds to cover the cost of these additional days or unless the conference is to be held online (for online conferences, the Academy will support occasions up to three days in length).
- Proposals should have an interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary dimension – preferably embracing both humanities and social sciences disciplines.
Period of award
The British Academy issues an annual call for outstanding conference proposals. Awards in this round are for conferences to be held in 2022 (January-December 2022).
Level of award
Up to £20,000 per conference is available for British Academy / BEIS conferences. For conferences on health and wellbeing under the British Academy / Wellcome Trust scheme, the upper limit of awards is £30,000.
Many awards will be made at a lower level, with sums in the region of £8,000-£15,000 likely. The awarding committee will aim to offer sums to make viable each conference that it selects for support, but in some instances, it may offer less than was sought.
Applications can only be submitted online using the British Academy’s online Flexi-Grant® Grant Management System (GMS) system.
Application deadline: Wednesday 27 January 2021, 17.00 UK time.