About this Fellow
King Edward's School Birmingham 1953-60; Domus Scholar, Balliol College Oxford, 1960-64 (Craven, Hertford, Ireland, and Derby Scholarships, Gaisford Prize for Greek Verse); Senior Scholar, Merton College Oxford, 1965-6; Gasthörer, Freie Universität Berlin, 1965-6; fellow and tutor, Exeter College Oxford, 1966-84 (emeritus fellow 1984-); Kennedy Professor of Latin, Cambridge, 1984-2006, and Director of Research, Faculty of Classics, 2006-7; fellow, Pembroke College Cambridge, 1984-; visiting professor Hamburg 1976, McMaster 1979, Toronto 1982-3; F. B. A. 1984; corresponding member, Akademie der Wissenschaften Gättingen, 1990-, and Istituto Lombardo, Milan, 1993-; Accademico, Biblioteca Ambrosiana Milan, 2014-. Premio Capitolino, Rome, 1991; Corresponding member of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei 2017-. Sandars Reader in Bibliography, Cambridge, 2012. Chairman, Advisory Council, Warburg Institute, 2008-13. Editor, Classical Quarterly, 1981-6; editor, Cambridge Classical Studies, 1984-2007; editor in chief, Cambridge Classical Texts and Commentaries, 1984-; on editorial board of Materiali e discussioni 1992-, Revue d'Histoire des Textes 1994-. Main field: transmission of classical Latin texts, currently Pliny's Natural histor. Full bibliography to 2015 in R. Hunter & S. P. Oakley (ed.), Latin literature and its transmission (Cambridge 2016), 323-38; bibliography on studies of transmission in Manuscripts and methods (Rome 2011) xiii-xvii.
- Formerly Kennedy Professor of Latin, and Director of Research, Faculty of Classics, University of Cambridge
- Tutorial Fellow, Exeter College University of Oxford, 1966 - 1984
- Kennedy Professor of Latin, University of Cambridge, 1984 - 2006
- formerly Director of Research, Faculty of Classics, University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, 2008
- Formerly Kennedy Professor of Latin, and Director of Research, Faculty of Classics, University of Cambridge, 2008