About this Fellow
History of Art;Central America; South America; USA, Canada, Mexico; Eastern Europe; Southern Europe; Western Europe
- Professor Emerita of Art History and Theory, University of Essex
- Professor Emerita of Art History and Theory, University of Essex, 2017
- Professor of Art History and Theory, University of Essex, 1990
- Lecturer, Reader, University of Essex, 1978 - 1990
- Research Fellow, Institute of Latin American Studies University of London, 1973 - 1975
British Academy Appointments
- Member of Council, 1999 - 2002
Ethnomusicology: music as an agent of change in culture and modern history; music and religion and race; music in European Judaism and Islam.
Islamic art, with particular reference to Iran and Syria; medieval architecture, book painting and iconography
History of British art in the late 19th and 20th centuries, including the imagery of the suffrage campaign, early 20th-century British modernism, art education, and the London art world in the 1960s.
The art and architecture of Venice and the Veneto; Renaissance architectural history and theory; the relationship between Italy and the Eastern Mediterranean; and music and architecture in the Renaissance