About this Fellow
Geography Central Europe Southern Europe Western Europe
- Emeritus Professor of Geography, University of Cambridge
- Professor of Geography, London School of Economics and Political Science University of London, 1985 - 1996
- Professor of Geography and Senior Associate, Judge Institute of Management, University of Cambridge, 1996
- Emeritus Professor of Geography, University of Cambridge, Professor of Geography, University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, 2011
British Academy Appointments
- Chairman of the Research Committee, 2002 - 2008
Environmental change with special reference to the solar factor.
Social evolution & social change in hunter-gatherer & peasant societies; the anthropology & archaeology of art; indigenous rights
Historical geography of trade & empire; seventeenth & eighteenth centuries; India; Caribbean; communication in speech, script & print
Comparative analysis of the evolution of cities & systems of cities in different parts of the world; dynamic modelling of complex systems in social sciences; geographical theory.