The British Academy Book Prize for Global Cultural Understanding shortlist event
Mon 24 Oct 2022, 18:00 - 19:30
- Accessible parking
- Baby changing facilities
- Online and in person
- Wheelchair accessible venue
- The British Academy and online
Meet the authors shortlisted for the 2022 British Academy Book Prize for Global Cultural Understanding at this special in-person and online event organised in partnership with the London Review Bookshop. Awarded annually since 2013, the British Academy’s £25,000 non-fiction book prize recognises work that searches for truth and reason in difficult places, and shines a light on the connections and divisions that shape cultural identity worldwide. Join the six shortlisted authors for an exploration of urgent and globally significant topics. This event will be chaired by the award-winning journalist Rosie Goldsmith.
The 2022 shortlist:
- The Invention of Miracles: Language, Power, and Alexander Graham Bell's Quest to End Deafness, by Katie Booth
- Aftermath: Life in the Fall-out of the Third Reich, Harald Jähner
- Osebol: Voices from a Swedish Village, Marit Kapla
- Horizons: A Global History of Science, James Poskett
- When Women Kill: Four Crimes Retold, Alia Trabucco Zerán
- Kingdom of Characters: A Tale of Language, Obsession, and Genius in Modern China, Jing Tsu
This event will have live subtitles provided by StageTEXT, delivered by MyClearText.
Free, booking required
This event will take place at the British Academy (10–11 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AH), with an in-person audience, and will be live streamed on Zoom Webinar. If you have any questions about this event, please refer to our Public Events FAQs. If your question is not answered, please email [email protected].