Early Career Researcher Network: what we offer
What are the benefits of ECR Network membership?
Networking and developmental support
Members have the opportunity to meet fellow ECRs and British Academy Fellows from a range of fields across the humanities and social sciences.
They can also sign up to our exclusive online community platform and access a range of activities, including training, workshops and panel sessions. Examples include:
- Media training
- Engaging with policymakers
- How to write a compelling grant application
- Let’s talk interdisciplinarity: value and practicalities of working across disciplines
- Communicating social sciences to wider audiences
- Planning impact
- Careers outside academia: what to expect
- Value and impact: a look at international collaborations
- From thesis to monographs: getting your PhD published
- Grant and publications writing retreats
Members are free to attend a host of regular events organised by, or on behalf of, the ECR Network – ranging from skill-based workshops to talks and panel sessions on issues impacting the ECR community. Here are some examples of upcoming events taking place within the ECR Network:
- Academic publishing workshop (January 2023)
- Whose responsibility is social welfare? Interdisciplinary approaches to community welfare and social justice (February 2023)
- Surface pressure: parenting and caring responsibilities and academia (March 2023)
- How to cost a research project: funding models and requirements for operating in competitive research funding (April 2023)
- Impact and public engagement (May 2023)
- Engaging with policymakers (June 2023)
Our unique community
The Network brings together over 2,000 ECRs from across the humanities and social sciences, bridging important gaps between those ECRs who have security and funding and those who do not. Network members:
- Inform, shape and feed into the activities of the Network
- Develop their own sessions with support from the Academy and/or Hub partners
- Access our community platform to expand their networks and links with researchers, Fellows, and partners
- Access online and in-person events, workshops, and training
- Access networking opportunities that expand networks and encourage cross collaboration
Our online platform
Members of the ECR Network have exclusive access to our online community platform.
This platform offers members a place to access all ECR Network-related resources including presentations, a list of upcoming events and past event recordings.
On the British Academy ECR Network online community platform, you can access exclusive opportunities for Network members.
A key element of our online community platform is that you have access to over 1,000 ECR Network members who you can connect with to discuss common interests, seek advice and tips, and start potential collaborations.