International Fellowships 2024
- Funding status
- Open for applications
- Career stage
- Earliest start date
- 1 Oct 2024
- Scheme opens date
- 23 Jan 2024
- Deadline date
- 13 Mar 2024 - 17:00 GMT
- Duration of award
- 24 months
- Contact details
The International Fellowships Programme provides support for outstanding early career researchers to make a first step towards developing an independent research career through gaining experience across international borders. Each award is expected to involve a specific and protected research focus with the award holder undertaking high quality, original research.
This scheme is jointly run by the British Academy and the Royal Society.
The overarching aim of the International Fellowships Programme is to attract and retain emerging talent in the UK and build a globally connected, mobile research and innovation workforce. The objectives are to:
- Attract talented international early career researchers to establish and conduct their research in the UK;
- Support early career researchers to pursue high-quality and innovative lines of research;
- Provide opportunities to acquire and transfer new skills and knowledge through training and career development;
- Foster long-term relationships through networking opportunities and the International Fellowships alumni programme.
The applicant must:
- Have a PhD, or applicants in the final stages of their PhD will be accepted provided that the PhD will be completed (including viva) before the start date of the Fellowship. Confirmation of award of the PhD will be required before any Fellowship award is confirmed.
- Applicants should have no more than seven years of active full time postdoctoral experience at the time of application (discounting career breaks, but including teaching experience and/or time spent in industry).
- Be working outside the UK.
- Not hold UK citizenship.
- Be competent in oral and written English.
- Have a clearly defined and mutually-beneficial research proposal agreed with a UK host researcher.
Applicants should ensure that they meet all the eligibility requirements, which are explained in the scheme notes.
Duration and Value of Award
The International Fellowships offer support for two years and the award is offered at 80% FEC. Applicants may apply for research expenses of up to £12,000 and relocation costs of up to £8,000. Applicants will need to justify the level of research expenses and relocation costs requested in their application.
Applicants may also be eligible to receive follow on Alumni funding following the tenure of their Fellowship to support networking activities with UK-based or international researchers.