This scheme provides funding to cover the costs of a 36 month fellowship at a host institution of your choosing. The purpose of this award is to enable the award holder to pursue an independent research project, towards the completion of a significant piece of publishable research.
The competition for the Postdoctoral Fellowship is held in two stages. The Outline Stage is open for everyone within the eligibility criteria (see below). The Second Stage is invitation only. You may only apply to this competition once, unless specifically invited to re-apply. Applications are only accepted through our grants management system, Flexi-Grant®.
Funded by BEIS
Outline Stage 2019-20
Scheme Opens - 22 August 2019
Deadline for Submission 16 October 2019
Result of Outline Stage Announcement - early January 2020
Applications must be complete and submitted by 5pm (UK time) 16 October 2019. This includes the Referee Statement and Organsation Approval.
Second Stage 2019-20
Scheme Opens - late January 2020
Deadline for Applicants mid February 2020
Result of Second Stage Announcement - June 2020
Earliest Start Date: 1st September 2020.
Latest Start Date: 1st January 2021.
- Applicants must be supported by the UK host institution in which they wish to hold the Fellowship
- Applicants must be within three years of the award of a doctorate (We take the date of your successful viva voce examination as the relevant date. This must fall between 1 April 2017 and 1st April 2020).
- Applicants in the 2019-20 competition awarded a PhD before 1 April 2017 can apply given extenuating circumstances, such as through illness or parental/care giving duties. If you are unsure about whether this applies to you, please contact the Research Funding Team.
- Those with a permanent academic post are ineligible to apply.
- Applicants must be either a UK/EEA national, or have completed a doctorate at a UK university. Applicants who do not fall into one of these categories must demonstrate a 'strong prior association' with the UK academic community. This is typically gained through having been employed in a temporary capacity at a UK university for at least 12 months.
Duration of Award
Awards are for 3 years
Awards are offered on a Full Economic Costing basis. There is no fixed amount awarded for the Fellowships and the value of award will vary depending on the host institution. Awards support the salary of the Postdoctoral Fellow to work full-time on the Fellowship, small-scale research expenses (up to a maximum of £6,000 across the duration of the award), costs towards the time of a mentor (equivalent to one hour per month for the 36 months of the Fellowship) and the host institution's estates and indirect costs.
Applicants must be supported by one self-nominated referee, who will be asked to fill in a questionaire via Flexi-Grant. The referee should normally be the external examiner or, if not available, someone else who is as external to the applicant as possible.