British Academy/ Cara/ Leverhulme Researchers at Risk Research Support Grants
- Funding status
- Closed for applications
- Career stage
- Established researcher, Mid-career, Postdoctoral or equivalent research, Senior researcher
- Scheme opens date
- 17 Oct 2022
- Deadline date
- 08 Feb 2023 - 17:00 GMT
- Duration of award
- The award period for any research support funding will not exceed the duration of the relevant fellowship award.
- Contact details
Email: [email protected]
Applications for collaborative or individual research projects are equally welcome under this scheme.
Funds are available to facilitate initial project planning and development; research assistance; and to enable the advancement of research through conference/workshop or visits by or to partner scholars. Applicants may seek support for any combination of eligible activity and cost up to the overall limit of £10,000. Applications will be assessed equally on their merits, with no preference as to the mode of enquiry.
Eligible researchers include the following except where their research falls within the medical and health sciences which is not eligible:
- Existing award holders through Cara’s Fellowship Programme.
- Applicants to Cara’s Fellowship Programme who have been deemed eligible for support and for whom a placement is being sought (awards will only be paid over once the placement is secured).
- Existing award holders through the British Academy’s Researchers at Risk Fellowship Programme.
- Applicants to the British Academy’s Researchers at Risk Fellowship Programme (awards will only be paid over once the placement is secured).
In addition, to be eligible for this funding applicants must be active postdoctoral (or equivalent level) researcher. They must hold an appropriate UK visa before the funds can be released.
Value and duration
The maximum grant is £10,000 over the remaining duration of the relevant fellowship award held by the applicant – applications will not be considered for less than £2,000.
The award period for any research support funding will not exceed the duration of the relevant fellowship award that the applicant holds from either the British Academy or Cara.
All applications will undergo an eligibility check to ensure the application is complete and the researcher meets the eligibility criteria.
Eligible proposals will be considered by a Selection Panel convened by the British Academy, which will include representatives of the UK National Academies.
This funding is available on a competitive basis. It is not expected that all applications for funding will be successful.
Applications for this research support funding will be assessed using the following criteria:
- The merit of the proposed research activity.
- The impact of the proposed activity on the applicant’s career development.
- The impact of the proposed activity given the applicant’s current available research support.
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy's Grant Management System (GMS), Flexi-Grant®
The deadline for applications for the second round is 5:00pm (GMT) on Wednesday 8 February 2023. The Academy will announce the timings of future rounds in due course.