- Funding status
- Open for applications
- Career stage
- Early-career, Established researcher, Mid-career, Postdoctoral or equivalent research, Senior researcher
- Scheme opens date
- 16 Feb 2023
- Duration of award
- For duration of the award or application process
The British Academy has set aside specific funding to support additional needs that applicants and award holders may require. This funding would be in addition to the amount already requested for research expenses. Each request will be considered on a case by case basis. This additional financial support cannot be guaranteed but the British Academy is keen to be as inclusive as possible in supporting applicants and award holders with any additional needs in order to facilitate the best possible research. Some examples of what may be considered for this funding are:
- Specific equipment to overcome barriers to people with disabilities undertaking research.
- Assistance to allow applicants living with sensory impairment to carry out their research.
- Bids for the cost of child, parent or other caring responsibilities may be considered if the carer is conducting research away from home and it is not possible to make alternative arrangements.
- The costs of normal regular care whilst at home are not eligible for support.
This funding pot is available for both current award holders and applicants who would like to apply for an award but need support with submitting their application. Although applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis there is the following criteria the applicant must meet:
- The applicant must be a current award holder on any British Academy scheme OR intending to apply for a British Academy award in the next 6 months
- If the applicant is not a current award holder, they must identify the scheme to which they intend to apply, and for which they need support applying for. The applicant must meet the eligibility requirements for the scheme they intend to apply for.
- If the applicant is a current award holder, the funds can only be used during the remaining time of the award.
- Funding cannot be applied retroactively, so any purchases made before application or while awaiting a decision on your application will not be eligible, even if included in your application.
- Items that we would reasonably assume would be covered by or available at your employing institution are not eligible for funding.
- Day to day childcare or other caring responsibilities costs are not eligible but caring costs necessary for research trips/leave would be considered eligible.