About this Fellow
- Emeritus Professor of Music, Newcastle University
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer in Music, Reader in Music and Cultural Studies, The Open University, 1972 - 1997
- Professor of Music, Newcastle University, 1998 - 2005
- Professor of Music, University of Newcastle, Newcastle University, 1998 - 2005
- , University of Birmingham, 1970 - 1972
- Emeritus Professor of Music, Newcastle University, 2006
Western Europe France History of Art
Ethnomusicology: music as an agent of change in culture and modern history; music and religion and race; music in European Judaism and Islam.
Islamic art, with particular reference to Iran and Syria; medieval architecture, book painting and iconography
History of British art in the late 19th and 20th centuries, including the imagery of the suffrage campaign, early 20th-century British modernism, art education, and the London art world in the 1960s.