About this Fellow
- Emeritus Fellow, Merton College, Oxford
- William Kenan Professor of European History and Women's History, Harvard University, 1987 - 1991
- Professor of History, European University Institute, Florence, 1991 - 1997
- Leverhulme Research Professor and Senior Research Fellow, Merton College, University of Oxford, 1997 - 2003
British Academy Appointments
- Member of Council, 2004 - 2007
Early modern European social, political and cultural history; history of the Jewish people; history of art and culture
The political, social and cultural histories of Ireland and England, c.1600-1800.
20th-century German social history; structures & legacies of the Third Reich and the German Democratic Republic (GDR); longer-term German and European history in comparative perspective; the Holocaust and collective violence; historical and social theory
Late 18th and 19th century British history; political and cultural developments, theology and religious belief, social and economic thought.