About this Fellow
Social, economic and geographic histories of Scotland, the UK, and Western Europe since the 18th century. Social economy of households and families
- Emeritus Professor of Economic History, University of Edinburgh
- Emeritus Professor of Economic History, University of Edinburgh, 2008
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees, National Library of Scotland , 2000 - 2012
- Senior Vice-Principal , University of Edinburgh , 2000 - 2007
- Professor of Economic History, University of Edinburgh, 1979
- Reader in Sociology, University of Edinburgh, 1975 - 1979
British Academy Appointments
- Member of Council, 1995 - 1998
Economics; economic sociology; economic policy
Historical sociology of 20th century Britain; the new middle classes, the changing nature of attachments to locality and place, the relationship between cultural inequalities and social class.
Social stratification and power, property ownership and business organisation; theory and its history in sociology, early British sociology; social network analysis, research methodology, the use of documents in social research.
Sociology of religion, secularisation theory and religion and violence; growth of Pentecostalism in the developing worlds and religion and politics in contemporary Europe.