About this Fellow
- Formerly Deputy Keeper, British Library
- Senior Lecturer, University of Amsterdam, 1967 - 1976
- General Secretary Consortium of European research libraries, Unknown Unknown, 1992 - 2002
- British Library Deputy Keeper, then Acting Director (89-91), Unknown Unknown, 1988 - 1991
British Academy Appointments
- Member of Council, 1991 - 1994
English Language and Literature Northern Europe France
Italian language and literature; manuscript studies; historical studies of language and literature; medieval history; historical linguistics; southern Europe, Italy.
Early modern literature in its historical and intellectual contexts, especially poetry and drama; Edmund Spenser's engagement with Gaelic Ireland, the dynamics of Tudor and Jacobean patronage, the aesthetics of Renaissance tragedy.
English literature of the long eighteenth century, especially Gibbon, Swift, Burke and Johnson; sixteenth-century historiography and historical drama; the history of literary criticism; the theory and practice of textual editing