About this Fellow
Geographies of labour market change in the UK; gender divisions of labour; interactive work in the service sector; economic migration since 1945; memory and oral histories, especially of women migrants
- Senior Professorial Research Fellow, University of Oxford; Honorary Professor of Geography, University of Exeter
- Honorary Professor of Geography, University of Exeter, 2017
- , The Open University, 1978 - 1992
- , University of Cambridge, 1992 - 1999
- , University College London, 2000 - 2004
- Professor of Human Geography, University of Oxford, University of Oxford, 2004 - 2017
- , University of Kent, 1973 - 1976
- Senior Professorial Research Fellow, University of Oxford, 2017
British Academy Appointments
- Member of Council, 2011 - 2014
Communications and Media Studies USA, Canada and/or Mexico
The anthropology of kinship with particular reference to Malaysia & Britain, domestic relations, historical migration, the house, adoption reunions, kinship & memory, bodily substance, the interface between popular & medical ideas about blood.
Social theory and human geography; colonial power, late modern war and military occupation in the Middle East; Orientalism and cultures of travel in Egypt, 1780-1920.
The history of geography and cartography; the historical geography of France and the French empire in the 19th and 20th centuries