About this Fellow
- Emeritus Professor of Music, Royal Holloway, University of London
- Professor of Music, University of Exeter, 1970
- Professor of Music, University of Bristol, 1970
- Professor of Music, Royal Holloway University of London, 1970
- , University of Bristol, 1970
- , University of Exeter, 1970
- Emeritus Professor of Music, Royal Holloway, University of London, Royal Holloway University of London, 1970
British Academy Appointments
- Member of Council, 2002 - 2005
Ethnomusicology: music as an agent of change in culture and modern history; music and religion and race; music in European Judaism and Islam.
Islamic art, with particular reference to Iran and Syria; medieval architecture, book painting and iconography
History of British art in the late 19th and 20th centuries, including the imagery of the suffrage campaign, early 20th-century British modernism, art education, and the London art world in the 1960s.
The art and architecture of Venice and the Veneto; Renaissance architectural history and theory; the relationship between Italy and the Eastern Mediterranean; and music and architecture in the Renaissance