About this Fellow
Religious and cultural history of Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages
- Emeritus Professor of Early Medieval History, University of Leeds
- Professor of Early Medieval History, University of Leeds, 1995 - 2015
- Gastprofessor, Institut für Geschichte, Universität Wien, 2000
- Gæsteprofessor, University of Aarhus, 1997
- Senior Lecturer, University of Leeds, 1989 - 1995
- Gastprofessor, Institut für Österreichische Geschichtsforschung, Universität Wien, 1994 - 1995
- Lecturer, University of Leeds, 1976 - 1989
The social & cultural history of Continental Europe in Late Antiquity & the Middle Ages.
Medieval literary theory and the psychology of literary response; poetic identity in the Middle Ages; Nietzschean slow reading; medieval religious writing ("vernacular theology"); Syon Abbey; history of the book
Medieval history; heresy, inquisition & 'religions': university texts as the locus for medieval thought about contemporary social topics such as medicine, peoples and population.
History and culture of Russia & Eastern Europe, Medieval & Early Modern; cultural and social history of information technologies