About this Fellow
Professor of Slavonic Studies at the University of Cambridge from 1985 to 2004. Previously, Reader in Russian at the University of East Anglia and Roberts Professor of Russian at the University of Leeds. DLitt (East Anglia) and LittD (Cambridge) and Honorary Doctorate from the Institute of Russian Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Pushkin House) in 2010. Internationally known for his work on eighteenth-century Russia and Anglo-Russian cultural relations. Founded the Study Group on Eighteenth-Century Russia in 1968 and edited the Group's annual Newsletter from 1973 to 2009. Reviews Editor of the Journal of European Studies since its inception in 1971.
- Professor Emeritus of Slavonic Studies, University of Cambridge
- Professor of Slavonic Studies, University of Cambridge, 1985
- Professor Emeritus of Slavonic Studies, University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, 2004
- Professor of Slavonic Studies, University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, 1985 - 2004
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer in Russian, University of East Anglia, 1964 - 1972
- Reader in Russian, Roberts Professor of Russian, University of Leeds, 1972 - 1985