Professor Sir Adam Roberts FBA
About this Fellow
Adam Roberts is Senior Research Fellow in International Relations, Oxford University, and Emeritus Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford. He was President of the British Academy, 2009-2013. Born in Penrith in 1940, he went to Westminster School and Magdalen College Oxford, where he read Modern History. He was Lecturer in International Relations at the London School of Economics, 1968-1981. He moved to Oxford University, first as Alastair Buchan Reader in International Relations, 1981-1986, then as Montague Burton Professor of International Relations, 1986-2007. He has given expert advice to parliamentary committees, governments and non-governmental bodies in the UK and overseas. In 2002 he was awarded a knighthood for services to the study and practice of international relations. His main academic interests are in the fields of international security, international organizations, and international law (including the laws of war). He has also worked extensively on the role of civil resistance against authoritarian regimes and foreign rule, and on the history of thought about international relations. He has published articles in numerous journals, including American Journal of International Law, British Year Book of International Law, International Affairs, International Review of the Red Cross, International Security, and Survival.
- Senior Research Fellow, Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Oxford, and Emeritus Fellow, Balliol College, Oxford, and Past President of the British Academy
- Lecturer in International Relations, London School of Economics and Political Science University of London, 1968 - 1981
- Alastair Buchan Reader in International Relations, University of Oxford, 1981 - 1986
- Montague Burton Professor of International Relations, University of Oxford, 1986 - 2007
- , Council for Science and Technology, 2011 - 2015
- Senior Research Fellow in International Relations, University of Oxford, Emeritus Fellow of Balliol College, Balliol College University of Oxford, 2008
British Academy Appointments
- President, 2009 - 2013
Political theory, social justice, nationality, citizenship and immigration.
Political Studies USA, Canada and/or Mexico
Political Studies History of a specific country France Public Policy and Administration Political History Western Europe France