This June the British Academy, the UK’s national body for the Humanities and Social Sciences, will be holding its first Summer Showcase - a free two-day festival celebrating the fascinating research and ideas shaping the world in which we live.
15 researchers will be exhibiting in our building in the heart of London on Friday 22 & Saturday 23 June, and we are inviting school and college groups to visit on Friday 22 June. This is a unique opportunity for your students to see the Humanities and Social Sciences in action, from history to psychology, music to geography, and to speak directly with our researchers about their work. Hands on activities and engaging 20-minute talks will take place throughout the day to immerse students in a range of topics. This experience will be further enhanced by the setting – our building, once home to Prime Minister William Gladstone, has a wonderful history and stunning architectural features.
Students (age 14+) will have a chance to explore subjects beyond the curriculum, which we hope will inform their thinking about what they may wish to study in the future. The Humanities and Social Sciences will play a huge part, alongside the natural sciences, in helping us to understand and address the challenges facing us today. We hope the Showcase will inspire and motivate your students to go further in their study and appreciation of these disciplines.
- Group bookings can be made for students age 14+, who will benefit from engaging with the exhibits and meeting our researchers. Younger students can of course visit with their parents on Saturday 23 June.
- Visits are free, with groups asked to register through the British Academy’s Events Team in advance. Staggered entrance timeslots for groups are available as follows:
11.00-11.30 11.30-12.00 12.00-12.30 12.30-13.00 13.00-13.30
- A visit will take 1-2.5 hours; however, visitors are welcome to stay as long as they wish.
- You are welcome to book as many places as you wish (subject to availability). Large groups will be asked to split into groups of 10-12 people on arrival.
- To book please email email@example.com or call 020 7969 5246. You will need to supply the following information:
- Name of school and address
- Name of lead tutor
- Year group attending
- Number of students
- The timeslot you would like
- Whether any attendees have access requirements
Exhibitors & Activities
- The subjects covered by our 15 exhibitors include: Anthropology, English, Geography, History, Media/Film, Medical Humanities, Music, Politics, Psychology and Sociology.
- Each researcher will be accompanied by 2 colleagues, thus ensuring students have ample number of opportunities to engage with each project and to ask questions.
- In addition to the exhibits, hands on activities will take place throughout the day. We will also be programming talks on why Linguistics, Archaeology and Statistics matter, in our garden marquee every 30 minutes. Booking is not required for these activities. Further information about our 15 exhibitors, and a confirmed programme of activities, will be available on our website from May.
- Students are advised to bring as little as possible i.e. no bulky bags, as cloakroom space is limited.
- Groups are advised to either have lunch before or after the event, or to bring their own lunch to eat in our garden. A small café will be on site, plus water will be available.
- The British Academy is fully accessible.Facilities include lift access from street level into the building, two accessible toilets on the ground floor, lift access to exhibits on level 1 and induction loops.
- Due to our location, there is limited parking outside the Academy. A small number of spaces for minibuses are available and can be booked through the Events Team. Coaches can drop off and collect but will need to find alternative parking in the area.
- The British Academy is easily accessible via public transport, within walking distance of Piccadilly Circus and Charing Cross tube stations.
- Further information about the Showcase will be sent to all booked groups in May. Our Events Team can also be contacted should you have any questions not covered above.
- Events Team: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7969 5246