We foster international collaboration in the humanities and social sciences, and promote the sharing of international perspectives on global challenges.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme for Overseas Researchers 2020
This programme is for early career researchers who wish to conduct research in Japan. Applications are now open for 2020-2021.
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme for Overseas Researchers is for UK-based early career researchers who wish to conduct research in Japan.
The scheme provides funding for early career postdoctoral researchers to conduct cooperative research in Japan, with leading research groups in Japanese universities and other institutions, under the guidance of a Japanese host.
The British Academy is an overseas nominating authority for this scheme, which is funded entirely by the JSPS. In this capacity, the British Academy nominates a designated number of candidates each year.
The aim of the programme is to help early career researchers advance their own research while contributing to the progress of research both in Japan and abroad.
- Be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands;
- Hold a doctorate degree when the Fellowship goes into effect, which must have been received within six years prior to the award, or be scheduled to receive a doctorate degree before the Fellowship goes into effect;
- Have arranged in advance a research plan with a Japanese host researcher employed at a Japanese university/research institution.
- Submit applications in time for them to be considered before the research is due to begin – awards will not be made retrospectively.
Candidates from all fields of the humanities and social sciences are eligible to apply.
Value and duration
Awards are for a period of between 12 months minimum to 24 months maximum. JSPS provides the following support:
- A round-trip air ticket for the Fellow;
- A monthly maintenance stipend of ¥362,000;
- A settling-in allowance of ¥200,000;
- A research grant ("Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research") for cooperative research-related expenses, applied for by the Japanese host researcher through his/her host institution.
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy’s grants application system, Flexi-Grant.
- Application, reference/Head of Department statement and current UK institution application approval deadline: 17.00 (UK time) on Wednesday, 18 December 2019.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.