Since then, many of Britain’s most distinguished scholars in the humanities and social sciences have been involved in the life of the British Academy. The roll call of past Fellows includes many of the greatest British names of the twentieth century, such as the influential economists John Maynard Keynes, Friedrich Hayek and William Beveridge; the eminent thinkers Karl Popper and Isaiah Berlin, Louis and Mary Leakey, who made pioneering discoveries on the origins of man; A.J.P. Taylor, Kenneth Clark and Mortimer Wheeler, scholars who were also great communicators; and C.S. Lewis and Henry Moore, Fellows who combined learning with creativity.
In 1998, the British Academy moved to its present headquarters at 10-11 Carlton House Terrace. Carlton House Terrace was built in 1831 to designs by John Nash. Between 1856 and 1874, No 11 was home to four-time British Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone.
A brief account of the Foundation is reproduced from Proceedings of the British Academy volume 1.
The British Academy 1902–2002: Some Historical Documents and Notes, published at the time of the British Academy’s centenary in 2002.