- Closed for applications
- Senior researcher
In partnership with the British Academy, the Royal Academy of Engineering and the Royal Society (‘the Academies’) and with generous support from the Leverhulme Trust, the APEX award (Academies Partnership in Supporting Excellence in Cross-disciplinary research award) scheme offers established independent researchers, with a strong track record in their respective area, an exciting opportunity to pursue genuine interdisciplinary and curiosity-driven research to benefit wider society.
The objectives of this scheme are to:
- promote collaboration across disciplines, with a particular emphasis on the boundary between science, engineering and the social sciences and humanities
- support outstanding interdisciplinary research which is unlikely to be supported through conventional funding programmes
- support researchers with an outstanding track record, in developing their research in a new direction through collaboration with partners from other disciplines
- enable outstanding researchers to focus on advancing their innovative research through seed funding
Am I eligible to apply?
Your application must be within the remit of more than one of the Academies. Applications which span the remit of the British Academy and the Royal Academy of Engineering are encouraged.
You can apply for this scheme if you are:
- a researcher with a strong track record as an established independent researcher (this can include engineering researchers, humanities and social sciences scholars and scientists)
- based at a UK University or not-for-profit research institution for at least the duration of the project
- Applicants will be expected to collaborate with a research partner from a different discipline from their own or a different university in the UK.
What is the scheme’s value and duration?
This scheme provides funding for up to 24 months:
- An award of up to £100,000
- Costs to relieve the applicant and/or co-applicant from some of their teaching and administrative duties.
- Up to 25% of the total award can be spent on research costs.
- Successful applicants will be invited to apply for an additional £10,000 to support public engagement activities.
All awards must start between 1 September 2020 and 1 November 2020.
What is the application process?
Applications should be submitted through the Society’s grant management system Flexi-Grant® by 3pm on Tuesday 26 November 2019.
You will be notified of the result of the application process in July 2020.
We are committed to supporting applicants with disabilities. If you require a reasonable adjustment during the application process, please contact the team APEX@royalsociety.org to let us know.