About this Fellow
Stephen J Ball is Distinguished Service Professor of Sociology of Education, Institute of Education, UCL, and Affiliate Professor of University of Copenhagen. He is a laureate of Kappa Delta Phi and Honorary Fellow of the Society of Educational Studies.
- Distinguished Service Professor of Sociology of Education, University of London
- Distinguished Service Professor of Sociology of Education, Institute of Education University of London, 2017
- Karl Mannheim Professor of Sociology of Education, University of London, Institute of Education University of London, 2001 - 2017
- Professor of Education, King's College London University of London, 1991 - 2000
- Tutor in Urban Education, Reader in Sociology of Education, King's College London University of London, 1985 - 1991
- Lecturer in Education, School for Global studies, University of Sussex, 1975 - 1985
Education at the interfaces of culture, policy and practice, usually though not exclusively in the primary phase: pedagogy, classroom discourse, curriculum, comparative/international education, education for development.
Intergenerational relationships in families & society; Social policies & poverty; Comparative family patterns & policies; Gender inequalities; Issues of reconciliation of family & work.
The design, implementation and impact of social policy: comparative research on family policy, social security and employment policy, with particular reference to gender and changing family patterns
Family change in developed countries: family environments and child well-being in the early years: co-habitation & unmarried parenthood; parental separation & children's well-being; life course analysis