About this Fellow
- Emeritus Professor of Irish History, University of Oxford; Professor of Irish History and Literature, Queen Mary University of London
- Emeritus Professor of Irish History, University of Oxford, 2017
- Carroll Professor of Irish History, University of Oxford, University of Oxford, 1991 - 2017
- Professor of Modern British History, Birkbeck College University of London, 1989 - 1991
- Professor of Irish History and Literature, Queen Mary University of London, 2017
History, Social History, Women's History, Political History, Economic History, History of Britain.
The history and politics of modern China; history of twentieth-century China, in particular the Republican period (1912-1949) and Cold War; contemporary Chinese nationalism and Sino-Japanese relations
International history of 20th century Europe and the United States: the expanding domestic and foreign context of international relations; comparative history of the administration and conduct of foreign relations.
History of earth sciences, especially the reconstruction of the earth's pre-human history, 1750-1850; the history of visual imagery in the natural sciences; epistemic issues in field- and museum-based sciences