About this Fellow
- Formerly Regius Professor of History, University of Oxford
- Lecturer in Modern History of East-Central Europe, University of Oxford, 1969 - 1990
- Professor of European History, University of Oxford, 1992 - 1997
- Regius Professor of Modern History, University of Oxford, 1997
- Regius Professor of History, University of Oxford, University of Oxford, 1993
Religions history, 'Histoire de l'imaginaire', Wars of religion, War & peace during the European Renaissance, astrology, early modern political thought.
The Holy Roman Empire in its European context from the fifteenth century to 1806; the legacy of the Holy Roman Empire in German-speaking central Europe from 1806 to the present
History of moral, political & legal thought 1600-1800, especially natural law & rights; Enlightenment in Germany, Scandinavia & Scotland; scholarly editions of eighteenth century texts.
Modern British history, especially cultural, intellectual and social; the histories of the humanities and social sciences in comparative perspective