About this Fellow
Ethnomusicology: music as an agent of change in culture and modern history; music and religion and race; music in European Judaism and Islam.
- Mary Werkman Distinguished Service Professor of the Humanities and of Music, The University of Chicago
- Vising Professor of Music, Newcastle University, 2002 - 2006
- Gastprofessor, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, University of Berlin, 2005
- Visiting Distinguished Professor of Ethnomusicology and Ritual Studies, Yale University, 2006
- MacMurray College, Jacksonville, Illinois, USA, Other Foreign Institutions, 1982 - 1984
- Mary Werkman Distinguished Service Professor of the Humanities and of Music, The University of Chicago, 1987
Music History USA, Canada and/or Mexico Resident in California for 9 years Central Europe Much work on German musical culture
Western Europe France History of Art
Islamic art, with particular reference to Iran and Syria; medieval architecture, book painting and iconography
History of British art in the late 19th and 20th centuries, including the imagery of the suffrage campaign, early 20th-century British modernism, art education, and the London art world in the 1960s.