About this Fellow
Current research interests: small and ethnic minority businesses and their employment practices; critical realism; labour process analysis. Past interests: employment practices of multinational companies; workplace employment relations; managerial careers. Senior Fellow of the Advanced Institute of Management Research 2004-8. Editor-in-Chief, Human Relations since 2012. Men,her of RAE 2008 and REF 2014 sub-panels for Business and Management.
- Professor of Employment Relations, Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham
- Deputy Director, Industrial Relations Research Unit, University of Warwick, 1988 - 1998
- Director, Industrial Relations Research Unit, University of Warwick, 1998 - 2002
- Associate Dean, Warwick Business School, University of Warwick, 1998 - 2002
- Associate Dean, Warwick Business School, University of Warwick, 2007 - 2010
- Professor of Industrial Relations, University of Warwick, University of Warwick, 2002 - 2011
- Part-time Professor of Employment Relations, Birmingham Business School, 2011
- Professor of Employment Relations, Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham, 2016
British Academy Appointments
- Social Sciences Group Chairman, 2008 - 2010
Law Private Law (Property, Equity, Trusts) Private Law (Family, Persons) Private Law (Contract, Restitution, Tort) European Union Law Commercial and Company Law Labour Law and Discrimination Law and Economics
Economics; economic sociology; economic policy
Social stratification and power, property ownership and business organisation; theory and its history in sociology, early British sociology; social network analysis, research methodology, the use of documents in social research.
Entrepreneurial ownership mobility and finance in developed and emerging economies, encompassing management buyout and private equity, academic spin-offs and venture capital, returnee entrepreneurs, family firms, initial public offerings, business angels