About this Fellow
German, Dutch and Scandanavian Languages and Literatures
- Emeritus Professor of German Medieval and Linguistic Studies, University of Oxford
- Lecturer, University of Durham, 1970 - 1976
- University Lecturer, Professor of Medieval German and Linguistic Studies, University of Oxford, 1976
- Professor of German Medieval and Linguistic Studies, University of Oxford, 1992
- Emeritus Professor of Medieval German, University of Oxford, 2017
Medieval History - Medieval Studies
Medieval French literature & manuscripts, particularly the 'Roman de la Rose', courtly allegory & prose romance.
The medieval & Renaissance literature & history of Spain from 1200 to 1700, with special interests in literacy, libraries & the history of ideas; humanism; imperialism
The social & cultural history of Continental Europe in Late Antiquity & the Middle Ages.