About this Fellow
Iberian and Latin American Languages and Literatures
- Professor Emeritus of Spanish, The University of Sheffield
- Lecturer, Reader in Spanish, Queen's University Belfast, 1962 - 1972
- Stevenson Professor of Hispanic Studies, University of Glasgow, 1972 - 1994
- Professor of Spanish, The University of Sheffield, 1994
- Professor Emeritus of Spanish, University of Sheffield, The University of Sheffield, 1994
Medieval history: narrative sources, primarily in north-western Europe in the 11th to 13th centuries, as evidence for the perceptions and values that shaped war and politics.
Islamic history 1050-1250, especially Iran and Syria; Muslim perspectives of the crusades, the scholar al-Ghazali and the caliphate.
The society, culture and landscape of early medieval England, especially the Church and parochial organisation; historical and archaeological sources and approaches
Anglo-Saxon literature, especially Ælfric and the Alfredian writings; early medieval commentary on Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy