About this Fellow
- Professor of Archaeology, University of Reading
- Dean, Faculty of Letters and Social Sciences, University of Reading, 1994 - 1997
- Professor of Archaeology, University of Reading, 1988
British Academy Appointments
- Chairman of the Board for Academy Sponsored Institutes and Societies | Treasurer 2010 - 2015, 2005 - 2010
- Member of Council, 2003 - 2005
Classics and Ancient History History Art and Archaeology of Greece and the Greek World History of Greece and the Greek World Southern Europe Greece
Prehistoric archaeology; wetlands, environmental change and human responses, landscapes of the North Sea Plain, the European beaver, anthropomorphic wooden figurines, the heritage management of wetlands.
Human evolution: the evolutionary ecology of extinct hominins; the evolution of human behaviour and culture; prehistory and archaeology of early human populations; evolutionary theory in archaeology and anthropology.
The society, culture and landscape of early medieval England, especially the Church and parochial organisation; historical and archaeological sources and approaches