About this Fellow
- Professor of Archaeology, University of Reading
- Dean, Faculty of Letters and Social Sciences, University of Reading, 1994 - 1997
- Professor of Archaeology, University of Reading, 1988
British Academy Appointments
- Chairman of the Board for Academy Sponsored Institutes and Societies | Treasurer 2010 - 2015, 2005 - 2010
- Member of Council, 2003 - 2005
Ancient Greek and Roman art and visual history; marble sculpture and portraits; late antiquity; archaeology of Greek cities of Eastern Roman Empire
Prehistory in Europe, the Near East and Central Asia; the beginnings of sedentary life and domestication of plants and animals; early metallurgy; nomadism and cultural contacts in the Eurasian steppes in the 1st millenium BC
Egyptology: art, archaeology, writing systems, religion, literature, social forms; comparative & theoretical study of early civilisations.
Environmental change with special reference to the solar factor.