About this Fellow
Jürgen Osterhammel retired from the chair of modern and contemporary history at the University of Konstanz in Germany in early 2018. He is now a Distinguished Fellow at the Freiburg Institute of Advanced Studies in Freiburg im Breisgau. He holds an honorary doctorate from the European University Institute, Florence, and is a member of the Order Pour le Mérite (German Order of Merit). His awards include the Leibniz-Preis (2010), the Toynbee Prize (2017) and the Balzan Prize (2018).
- Distinguished Fellow, Freiburg Institute of Advanced Studies, Freiburg im Breisgau, from 2019
- Professor of Modern and Contemporary History, University of Konstanz , 1999 - 2018
- Professor of International History, The Graduate Institute, Geneva, 1997 - 1999
- Professor of Non-European History, FernUniversität Hagen (German Open University), 1990 - 1997
- Senior Lecturer in Political Science, University of Freiburg, 1986 - 1990