About this Fellow
Legal Philosophy with Moral, Political and Legal Philosophy, and Philosophy of Action
- Professor, Columbia University Law School; Professor, King's College London
- Research Fellow, Nuffield College University of Oxford, 1970 - 1972
- Fellow and Tutor, Balliol College University of Oxford, 1970 - 1985
- Professor of the Philosophy of Law and Fellow of Balliol College, University of Oxford, 1985 - 2006
- Research Professor, University of Oxford, University of Oxford, 2006 - 2009
- Law Faculty & Dept. of Philosophy, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 1967 - 1972
- Professor, Columbia University, New York, 1991
- Research Professor (part time), King's College London University of London, 2011
Public law: constitutional & administrative law, constitutional theory, legal & political thought.
Intellectual property law (copyright & trade marks) & private international law, from sixteenth century Papal printing priviledges to digital media in domestic & international law.
Criminal justice; philosophy of criminal law; penal theory; the history of crime & punishment; security & counter-terrorism law & policy.
Social theory; the sociology of punishment and control; historical and comparative analysis of legal institutions; the history and sociology of welfare states; sociology of law; criminological theory