About this Fellow
Social stratification and power, property ownership and business organisation; theory and its history in sociology, early British sociology; social network analysis, research methodology, the use of documents in social research.
- Honorary Professor of Sociology, University of Copenhagen; Honorary Visiting Professor, University of Exeter
- Adjunct Professor, Bergen University, Norway, 1997 - 2005
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) and Professor of Sociology, University of Plymouth, University of Plymouth, 2008 - 2013
- Professor of Sociology, University of Essex, 1994 - 2008
- Honorary Professor, Copenhagen University, 2012
- Visiting Professor, University of Essex, 2014
- Honorary Visiting Professor, University of Exeter, 2016
British Academy Appointments
- Member of Council, 2016 -
Comparative welfare states, social stratification and inter-generational mobility, family demography and the transformation of gender relations in advanced societies
Criminology: Situational Action Theory, crime as moral actions, social ecology of crime, crime & human development, knowledge-based crime prevention policy.
Social policy & social gerontology including polictical economy, comparitive research in Europe & East Asia, & the theory & application of social quality
Education at the interfaces of culture, policy and practice, usually though not exclusively in the primary phase: pedagogy, classroom discourse, curriculum, comparative/international education, education for development.