About this Fellow
English Language and Literature
- Emeritus Professor of English Literature, University of Oxford
- Tutorial Fellow, Keble College University of Oxford, 1960 - 1965
- Tutorial Fellow, St John's College University of Oxford, 1965 - 1975
- Merton Professor of English Literature, University of Oxford, 1975 - 2001
- Emeritus Professor of English Literature, University of Oxford, University of Oxford, 1975
History and culture of Russia & Eastern Europe, Medieval & Early Modern; cultural and social history of information technologies
Renaissance philosophy, particularly the Platonism of Marsilio Ficino & Pica della Mirandola; Renaissance poetry, magic, mythology, iconography & hermeneutics; Chaucer, Spenser, Shakespeare.
Literature & culture of the 'long Romantic period', with a focus on empire, nation & travel writing. My recent focus is Scottish literature & thought 1750-1850, with a special emphasis on Robert Burns & his poetic & intellectual circle.
Renaissance rhetoric & dialectic; medieval & renaissance European literature, thought & cultural history