About this Fellow
John Baines was formerly Professor of Egyptology in the University of Oxford. He taught formerly at the University of Durham. He has held visiting appointments, in departments of Egyptology, anthropology, art history and archaeology, and Near Eastern Studies, at universities in Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America. Throughout his career he has sought to integrate the study of ancient Egypt into the wider discourse of the humanities and social sciences. He is a member of the American Philosophical Society and an honorary member of the American Oriental Society.
- Professor of Egyptology Emeritus, University of Oxford
- MZAW Gastprofessor, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich
- Professor of Egyptology, Faculty of Oriental Studies, Oxford, 1976 - 2013
- Old Dominion Fellow, Princeton University, 2014 - 2014
British Academy Appointments
- Vice-President BIRI, 2014 - 2018