About this Fellow
John Baines was Professor of Egyptology in the University of Oxford from 1976 to 2013. He taught formerly at the University of Durham. He has held visiting appointments, in departments of Egyptology, anthropology, art history and archaeology, and Near Eastern Studies, at universities in Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America. Throughout his career he has sought to integrate the study of ancient Egypt into the wider discourse of the humanities and social sciences. He is a member of the American Philosophical Society and an honorary member of the American Oriental Society.
- Professor of Egyptology Emeritus, University of Oxford
- Professor of Egyptology, Faculty of Oriental Studies, Oxford, 2011 - 2013
- Professor of Egyptology Emeritus, Faculty of Oriental Studies, Oxford, 2013
- Senior Fellow, New York University, 2011
British Academy Appointments
- Vice-President BASIS, 2014 -