Professor Jo Labanyi FBA
About this Fellow
History Other Regions or Languages Spanish Literature Cultural Studies - Modern Languages Film and Media Studies Southern Europe Spain Latin America
- Professor of Spanish, New York University
- Director, Institute of Romance Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London, 1997 - 2002
- Professor of Spanish and Cultural Studies, University of Southampton, 2001 - 2005
- Professor of Spanish, New York University, 2006
- Professor of Spanish and Cultural Studies, University of Southampton, and from 15.01.06, Professor of Spanish, New York University, University of Southampton, 2001 - 2006
- Professor of Spanish, New York University, New York University, 2006
Literary realism; history and theory of consumer culture; Freud, especially in relation to Greek tragedy and feminist reappraisals; Virginia Woolf; contemporary French philosophy.
Literary biography and criticism, especially 20th century British and American poetry; biographies of John Berryman and William Empson, editions of poetry and prose by Empson.
Russian cultural and social history from the late 18th century; the history of childhood, and Russian national identity in the late Soviet and post-Soviet eras.
Literary studies from the Enlightenment to modernity; the interrelations of literature and philosophy