About this Fellow
- Emeritus Professor of Psychology, University of Stirling
- Research Fellow, Industrial Training Research Unit, University of London, 1968 - 1970
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader, Professor, University of Stirling, 1970
- Emeritus Professor of Psychology, University of Stirling, University of Stirling, 2006
- Emeritus Professor of Psychology, University of Stirling, 2006
British Academy Appointments
- Member of Council, 2003 - 2006
The cognitive and social foundations of rationality & language; general principles of cognition; philosophical, economic & policy implications of cognitive science.
Sign language as a model to understand human language generally: neuroimaging studies of commonalities in processing spoken & signed languages; the influence of modality of communication on language structure; sociolinguistics of Deaf communities.
The development of information-processing and connectionist models of cognitive processes, particularly of executive functions, memory, knowledge, reading and writing and their application to understanding the cognitive consequences of brain damage
Children's cognitive development, particularly the development of language and literacy; cross-language studies of reading and dyslexia; reading development in deaf children and language-impaired children; educational neuroscience of reading and dyslexia