About this Fellow
My research background in economic demography, focussed on questions of gender differences in the labour market, the impact of childrearing of women's lifetime incomes, and effects of maternal employment on child bearing and child development. These topics involved the use of longitudinal data, principally from the UK, and increasingly involved in the production of longitudinal datasets and their provision to other users. I became the director of the Centre for Longitudinal Studies at the Institute of Education (now in UCL) which houses several of the national birth cohort studies from 2003 to 2010. I was the founder director of one of them, the UK Millennium Cohort from 2000. I was also the founder president of the Society for Longitudinal and Lifecourse Studies 2 012-12, and have also been the president of the European Society for Population Economics (1996) and the British Society for Population Studies (1998-9), and Co-chair of the European Child Cohort Network from 2008-2013. Former affiliations include the London School of Hygiene, Birkbeck College and City University. Current research includes interdisciplinary and international studies of residential mobility, neighbourhood, children's mental health; the co-development of cognitive and non-cognitive skills in children, and their consequences in adult life. Awarded CBE in 2015 for services to longitudinal and women's studies.
- Professor Emerita of Economic and Developmental Demography in Education, UCL Institute of Education
- Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow and Senior Lecturer (other than between 1987-90), Centre for Population Studies, School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine University of London, 1979 - 1993
- Professor, Social Statistics Research Unit, City University, 1993 - 1998
- Professor of Economic and Developmental Demography, Institute of Education University of London, 1998 - 2011
- Professor Emerita of Economic and Developmental Demography in Education, Institute of Education University of London, 2011
- Research Officer, University of Oxford, 1970
- Professor Emerita, Institute of Education University of London, 1970
- Economic Adviser, Goverment Economic Service, 1970
- Senior Research Fellow, Economics Dept Birkbeck College, 1970
Economics USA, Canada and/or Mexico Western Europe
Time series analysis: forecasting and seasonal adjustment; analysis of forecast surveys and forecast uncertainty; density forecast evaluation. Macroeconometric modelling: comparative studies and policy evaluation in national-economy and multicountry models.