Professor Gerald Smith FBA
About this Fellow
I continue to work on contemporary Russian poetry, in particular translating Lev Loseff (1937-2009), and on the life and works of the critic D.S.Mirsky (1890-1939). www.levloseff.blogspot.co
- Emeritus Professor of Russian, University of Oxford, and Emeritus Fellow of New College, Oxford
- Lecturer in Russian, University of Nottingham, 1964 - 1971
- Lecturer in Russian, University of Birmingham, 1971 - 1978
- Professor of Russian, University of Oxford, 1986
- Professor of Emeritus Russian , University of Oxford, and Fellow of New College, Oxford, University of Oxford, 1986 - 2003
- Emeritus Professor of Russian, University of Oxford, and Emeritus Fellow of New College, Oxford, New College University of Oxford, 2003
Film & cultural studies; theories of representation & entertainment; lesbian & gay culture; white representation; music & film; Italian cinema; the European crime film
Literature & culture of the 'long Romantic period', with a focus on empire, nation & travel writing. My recent focus is Scottish literature & thought 1750-1850, with a special emphasis on Robert Burns & his poetic & intellectual circle.
The study of images, media & visual culture in relation to politics in both traditional & modern societies.
African American literature and culture; the cultural history of postcolonial societies; the sociology of ethnicity, race and racism in Britain