About this Fellow
Diego Gambetta has been at the University of Oxford since 1992, as Reader in Sociology and Fellow of All Souls College, and, since 2003, as an Official Fellow of Nuffield College. In 2012 he went on a 5-year leave to take up a Chair of Social Theory at the European University Institute in Florence. He has a PhD in social and political sciences from the University of Cambridge, and was Research Fellow at King's College, Cambridge from 1984 to 1991. He has been visiting professor at the University of Chicago, Columbia University, EHT Zurich, Science Po and Collège de France in Paris, and Stanford University.
- Professor of Sociology and Official Fellow of Nuffield College, Oxford; Professor of Social Theory, European University Institute
- Research Fellow, King's College University of Cambridge, 1984 - 1991
- Fellow, St Anne's College University of Oxford, 1991 - 1995
- Lecturer in Sociology, University of Oxford, 1992 - 1995
- Fellow, All Souls College University of Oxford, 1995
- Reader in Sociology, University of Oxford, 1995
- Reader in Sociology and Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, University of Oxford, 1985 - 2002
- Professor of Sociology and Official Fellow of Nuffield College, Oxford, Corpus Christi College University of Oxford, 2002
Social policy & social gerontology including polictical economy, comparitive research in Europe & East Asia, & the theory & application of social quality
Education at the interfaces of culture, policy and practice, usually though not exclusively in the primary phase: pedagogy, classroom discourse, curriculum, comparative/international education, education for development.
Intergenerational relationships in families & society; Social policies & poverty; Comparative family patterns & policies; Gender inequalities; Issues of reconciliation of family & work.
The design, implementation and impact of social policy: comparative research on family policy, social security and employment policy, with particular reference to gender and changing family patterns