About this Fellow
Sociology Scotland Ireland Wales England Nationalism Studies
- Professor of Sociology, and Co-Director of the Institute of Governance, University of Edinburgh
- Professor of Sociology, University of Edinburgh, 1996
- Professor of Sociology, and Director of the Institute of Governance, University of Edinburgh, University of Edinburgh, 1995
- , University of Edinburgh, 1971
- Emeritus Professor of Sociology, University of Edinburgh, University of Edinburgh, 1995
History, Social History, Women's History, Political History, Economic History, History of Britain.
Applied and theoretical statistics, including causal inference in experiments and observational studies, missing data and multiple imputation, and computational methods such as the EM algorithm and extensions
Comparative welfare states, social stratification and inter-generational mobility, family demography and the transformation of gender relations in advanced societies
Criminology: Situational Action Theory, crime as moral actions, social ecology of crime, crime & human development, knowledge-based crime prevention policy.