Journal of the Royal Statistical Society
About this Fellow
David Hand is Senior Research Investigator and Emeritus Professor of Mathematics at Imperial College, London. He previously worked at London University and the Open University. He is a Chartered Statistician and Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries. He serves on the Board of the UK Statistics Authority and the European Statistical Advisory Committee. He is a former president of the Royal Statistical Society, former Chair of the Board of the Administrative Data Research Network, and served as a member of the ONS Methodology Review Group and the Royal Society / British Academy Data Governance Working Group. He has received many awards for his research, including the Guy Medal of the Royal Statistical Society and the Box Medal from the European Network for Business and Industrial Statistics. He was made OBE for research and innovation in 2013. His 29 books include Principles of Data Mining, Measurement Theory and Practice, The Improbability Principle, and The Wellbeing of Nations.
- Emeritus Professor of Mathematics, Imperial College, London
- Senior Research Investigator, Imperial College, London
- Statistician, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience University of London, 1977 - 1988
- Professor of Statistics, The Open University, 1988 - 1999
- Professor of Statistics, Imperial College of Science and Technology University of London, 1999
- Professor of Statistics, Imperial College, University of London, Imperial College of Science and Technology University of London, 1999
- Emeritus Professor of Mathematics, Imperial College of Science and Technology University of London, 2011
Sociology Scotland Ireland Wales England Nationalism Studies
Sociology of education with a focus on policy processes and social class equalities.
History, Social History, Women's History, Political History, Economic History, History of Britain.