Professor Sir Christopher Ricks FBA
About this Fellow
- Professor of the Humanities, Boston University
- Fellow, Worcester College University of Oxford, 1958 - 1968
- Professor of English, University of Bristol, 1968 - 1975
- Professor of English Literature, University of Cambridge, 1975 - 1986
- Professor of the Humanities, Boston University, 1986
- Professor of the Humanities, Boston University, Other Foreign Institutions, 1986
Literature & culture of the 'long Romantic period', with a focus on empire, nation & travel writing. My recent focus is Scottish literature & thought 1750-1850, with a special emphasis on Robert Burns & his poetic & intellectual circle.
The study of images, media & visual culture in relation to politics in both traditional & modern societies.
African American literature and culture; the cultural history of postcolonial societies; the sociology of ethnicity, race and racism in Britain
The nineteenth-century French novel, especially Balzac and Flaubert; the work of Roland Barthes; narrative and feminist theory