Professor Avi Shlaim FBA
About this Fellow
Avi Shlaim is an Emeritus Fellow of St Antony's College and an Emeritus Professor of International Relations at the University of Oxford. He retired in 2011. He was a Lecturer then Reader in Politics at the University of Reading, 1970-1987. In 1987 he was appointed Alistair Buchan Reader in International Relations at Oxford and in 1996 he was made Professor of International Relations He was awarded a British Academy Research Readership in 1995-1997 and a Research Professorship in 2003-2006. In 2006 he was elected Fellow of the British Academy. He is a member of the Modern History section of the academy and a cross-member of the Political Studies section. Avi Shlaim is based at the Middle East Centre at St Antony's College where he continues to teach one graduate course within the MPhil in Modern Middle Eastern Studies. In 2007-2008 he was director of the centre. His main research interest is the Arab-Israeli conflict. He is a frequent contributor to the newspapers and commentator on radio and television on Middle Eastern affairs.
- Emeritus Professor of International Relations, University of Oxford
- Reader in Politics, University of Reading, 1970 - 1987
- Research Professor, British Academy , 2003 - 2006
- Professor of International Relations, University of Oxford, St Antony's College University of Oxford, 1996
- Lecturer and Reader in Politics, University of Reading, 1970 - 1987
- Emeritus Professor of International Relations, St Antony's College University of Oxford, 2017
History, African Languages and Literature, Social History in Africa, Economic History in Africa, History of Medicine in Africa.
Global History, especially Asia and Europe; Intellectual History; Early Modern History
History of Science