About this Fellow
Lecturer & Reader, Univ. St Andrews 1968-90; Lecturer in Medieval French Literature, Univ. of Oxford 1990-2009 Fellow of St Peter's College, Oxford 2011 (Emeritus 2011-). Hon Treasurer Anglo-Norman Text Society 1976-2011, Joint President 2011-. Research interests: Medieval Medicine, Anglo-Norman, Medieval French translations of Latin texts. Foreign Member, Norwegian Acad. of Science & Letters (1999); Officier dans l'Ordre des Palmes Academiques (2009)
- Emeritus Fellow, St Peter's College, Oxford
- Reader in French, University of St Andrews, 1979 - 1990
- Tutorial Fellow in French, St Peter's College University of Oxford, 1990
- Faculty Lecturer in Medieval French Literature, University of Oxford, 1990
- Emeritus Fellow, St Peter's College University of Oxford, 2013
Middle English Historical Studies of Language and Literature - English Language and Literature Old and Middle English Language and Literature Renaissance Literature
Law Private Law (Contract, Restitution, Tort) Legal History Intellectual Property and Information Law Scots Law Private Law (Property, Equity, Trusts) Private Law (Family, Persons)
Western European art and architecture 1100-1400; royal and ecclesiastical patronage; the art of liturgy and death; hagiography; wall, panel and manuscript painting; Cambridge illuminated manuscripts; international artistic relations.
Medieval history: narrative sources, primarily in north-western Europe in the 11th to 13th centuries, as evidence for the perceptions and values that shaped war and politics.