Professor Alan Ryan FBA
About this Fellow
Recently retired after fifty-three years teaching political philosophy in Britain and the US. Central interests in the history of liberalism from Mill to Rawls. About to embark on a short book on American social and political thought in the period 1880 to 1920.
- Emeritus Professor of Political Theory, University of Oxford
- Reader in Politics, University of Oxford, 1978 - 1986
- Professor of Politics, Princeton, 1987 - 1996
- Warden, New College University of Oxford, 1996 - 2010
- Visiting Professor (Philosophy), Stanford University, California, 2014 - 2015
- Professor of Politics, Princeton, 2010 - 2016
- Warden, New College, Oxford, New College University of Oxford, 1987 - 2010
- Emeritus Professor of Political Theory, University of Oxford, 2016
Ethics; Political Philosophy; Kant.
India; climate change; economic development and growth; economic theory; economics; government; public policy and the role of the state and economies in transition;tax reform